Hi everyone – I’m finally ready to reveal what I’ve been working on the past week. I decided to self host my blog and am now the proud owner of bitesofbalance.com . Please head over and check it out, bookmark it, add to your rss feed or throw rocks at it – whichever you prefer.I created a whole new look for it and am still working on some cool new stuff for it as well.
Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »
I promise I’m not being a slacker. I’m working on some cool things for the blog and should be finished in the next few days. Stay tuned.
Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »
I have been MIA the past few days and I apologize. But big things are happening over here behind the scenes of Bites of Balance. So I’m trying to get those all in place and then I promise I’ll be back shortly.
Posted in Uncategorized | 1 Comment »
Lucky me got called to go into jury duty today. I had the summons all week and they pick the last day of the week. It was my first time ever getting summoned so I had no idea what to expect going in today. I had to report at 8:45am was welcomed by a line down the entire block waiting to get in through the security check. Luckily it was quick and I was inside with a few minutes to spare.
I have appointments next week so I was nervous I’d get called in. Luckily the judged liked my excuse and excused from a trial that would have been two weeks long. Pheww. Crisis averted.
Good news is I met two of my goals this week – I woke up and did an early morning run and I did two strength trainings this week. Woo hoo! On that note I’m going to start my weekend and share some of my favorite pinterest finds this week. I really am obsessed with pinterest. Do they have a support group for that yet? I think I need it.
Make The House Smell AMAZING!
Fill Up the Freezer STAT!
Should Start this ASAP.
Workout of the Week
Enjoy your weekend! I’ll be sweating it out in spin tomorrow or maybe a little P90x tomorrow and a long run on Sunday.
Posted in Life, Pinterest Finds | Tagged Goals, Sweat it Out | Leave a Comment »
Are you a breakfast eater? I didn’t use to be. I wouldn’t eat until 12 or 1pm and lets just say my choices weren’t always the healthiest. I don’t know how I survived those dark days. I can’t imagine a day without a delicious breakfast now. I’d probably be passed out under my desk by 9am at the latest.
Breakfast really is my favorite meal of the day. But am I eating the right breakfast and getting the right nutrients? I saw this article and it’s made me track my meals the past few days on My Fitness Pal and see if my breakfast is up to par. Luckily my breakfasts meet all the recommendations (most days) but these were definitely some things I didn’t know. I was doing them without knowing.
Here are some guidelines for making sure your breakfast is the right choice to fuel your body and your brain properly in the early hours of the day.
- Make sure your breakfast is at least 53% carbs. Aim for 35 -65 g carbs.
- Fiber in breakfast is important! Try to get in at least 6g of fiber.
- You want some fats in your breakfast. Aim for about 17-15 g of HEALTHY fats in your breakfast like nut butters, avocado, etc.
- Of course you want protein which has the staying power to keep those hunger pains at bay. Aim for 15-25 g of protein.
Some of these seemed high to me but I decided to test them for a few days. I’m no scientist over here so these are strictly my own observations. Days I hit all these guidelines I stayed full until lunch time and felt great. I tried one day of not meeting these goals and had just some cereal and was starving a few hours later and felt like I needed more than my own cup of coffee. Maybe these guidelines are on to something.
Here are some great breakfast ideas.
- Oatmeal – Add sliced almonds (or other nuts), nut butters, milk, fruit, etc. Oatmeal is one of my favorite breakfasts. It’s really versatile and you can literally add almost anything.
- Egg scramble – Eggs (and egg whites) are easy to add just about anything too. I like to bulk mine up with some black beans, little bit of cheese, salsa and some sliced avocado. Eat with a piece of whole grain toast or wrap it up in a whole grain tortilla. YUM.
- Peanut butter and strawberry roll up. This is about as easy as it gets. Use a whole grain tortilla and spread pb (or other nut butters) on it, slice strawberries and a handful of granola and roll it up.
- Greek yogurt, granola, fresh fruit, agave, etc. You can almost throw anything in Greek yogurt.
I want breakfast right now. How does your breakfast stack up?
Posted in Healthy Living, Pinterest Finds | Tagged Breakfast, Tips | Leave a Comment »
Guess who woke up at 5:30 am and got a 3.1 mile run and 1.5 mile walk in before 7am? This girl right here. I finally dragged my
lazy butt out of bed and completed a morning workout. I don’t understand why I fell off the morning workout routine. I literally use to go to the gym at 5am 4-5 times during the work week and complete my weekend workout by 9am. I use to love it SO much. I think it helped that my roommate would go with me and if I heard her stirring in the wee morning hours I felt a tad guilty and lazy if I didn’t get up.
It’s been tough going since then. I go long stretches with no morning workouts and then I do one and realize I still love it. But ultimately I fall off the wagon again. Failure over here. My goal is to do at least 2 morning workouts to start off and slowly build myself back up. So one down for this week and one more to go.
Last week I scored a sweet and cheap deal on a ton of delicious strawberries. I can eat berries like they are going out of style but it was tough for me to get through 2 pounds of them. They were getting close to being trashcan food. I HATE wasting perfectly good produce so I scrambled to find a recipe to salvage them. Luckily Skinny Taste always comes through for me. I used this recipe as my base and added chocolate chips – because I’m cool like that. I stretched my batch to 12 (instead of the 8) and they still came in just around 150 calories a piece. I promise you no one will no they are low fat – Darren was surprised (as he was shoving a second one in his mouth) that they were. Score!
Strawberry Chocolate Scones
Adapted from: Skinny Taste
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sugar plus
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup frozen butter
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup reduced fat buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Chop strawberries into small pieces.
- In a bowl mix all the dry ingredients (flour, ww flour, salt, baking powder, sugar) minus the chocolate chips and strawberries.
- In that same bowl use a cheese grater and grate the frozen butter into a bowl. Mix well with the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl mix all the ‘wet’ ingredients (buttermilk, vanilla) .
- Using a fork slowly fold in the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
- Slowly fold in the chocolate chips and strawberries.
- Spray a cookie sheet and place 12 large spoonfuls onto the cookie sheet. Don’t press or compact – simply let them do their thing and make their own shapes.
- Back for 15-20 minutes depending on your oven.
- Remove and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy a delicious and guilt free sweet treat.
Posted in Exercise, Recipe | Tagged Baking, Bread, Goals | 2 Comments »
So you know that running streak I talked about that I was doing. Well 7 days in I had to stop. My hip and knee really started to bother me on the 8th day. I’m really disappointed to stop it because it was something I really wanted to try but I’d rather be injury free.
I’m training for a 10k and will continue to run but gave myself a day off yesterday to see how it felt. I generally work out in some capacity 5-6 times a week but only run usually 3 of those days. I don’t think my body is ready for so many days in a row. Such is life. While I’m disappointed I know if I got injured I’d be angry at myself because I’d have to sit on the sidelines and do nothing for at least a few days.
Since my knee and hip decided the streak wasn’t in my future this time I have decided to make a few more goals for myself this month. I hope to complete all these with the three weeks left in the month.
June 2012 Goals
- Run 4 miles – I want to run this with no walk breaks and feel good afterwards. I did 3.1 last weekend and know I could add another .90 if I push myself and keep trying.
- Do cross training 2-3 times a week – I want to do strength and some other kinds of cardio at least 2-3 times a week to balance out my days running.
- Continue training for my 10k and run at least 3 times per week.
- Eat no meat at least 2 times a week – I have no problem getting my fruit and veggie quota a day but want to eat less meat.
Stay tuned to see if I meet these goals at the end of the month. For the rest of you continuing on the streak. Keep up the good work – I’m cheering you on!
Have a great weekend everyone!
Posted in Running | Tagged 10k | Leave a Comment »