Guess who woke up at 5:30 am and got a 3.1 mile run and 1.5 mile walk in before 7am? This girl right here. I finally dragged my
lazy butt out of bed and completed a morning workout. I don’t understand why I fell off the morning workout routine. I literally use to go to the gym at 5am 4-5 times during the work week and complete my weekend workout by 9am. I use to love it SO much. I think it helped that my roommate would go with me and if I heard her stirring in the wee morning hours I felt a tad guilty and lazy if I didn’t get up.
It’s been tough going since then. I go long stretches with no morning workouts and then I do one and realize I still love it. But ultimately I fall off the wagon again. Failure over here. My goal is to do at least 2 morning workouts to start off and slowly build myself back up. So one down for this week and one more to go.
Last week I scored a sweet and cheap deal on a ton of delicious strawberries. I can eat berries like they are going out of style but it was tough for me to get through 2 pounds of them. They were getting close to being trashcan food. I HATE wasting perfectly good produce so I scrambled to find a recipe to salvage them. Luckily Skinny Taste always comes through for me. I used this recipe as my base and added chocolate chips – because I’m cool like that. I stretched my batch to 12 (instead of the 8) and they still came in just around 150 calories a piece. I promise you no one will no they are low fat – Darren was surprised (as he was shoving a second one in his mouth) that they were. Score!
Strawberry Chocolate Scones
Adapted from: Skinny Taste
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sugar plus
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup frozen butter
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup reduced fat buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Chop strawberries into small pieces.
- In a bowl mix all the dry ingredients (flour, ww flour, salt, baking powder, sugar) minus the chocolate chips and strawberries.
- In that same bowl use a cheese grater and grate the frozen butter into a bowl. Mix well with the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl mix all the ‘wet’ ingredients (buttermilk, vanilla) .
- Using a fork slowly fold in the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
- Slowly fold in the chocolate chips and strawberries.
- Spray a cookie sheet and place 12 large spoonfuls onto the cookie sheet. Don’t press or compact – simply let them do their thing and make their own shapes.
- Back for 15-20 minutes depending on your oven.
- Remove and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy a delicious and guilt free sweet treat.